Saturday, November 29, 2008

Turkey Trotting, Part Deux

As Agricola mentioned, we ran a 5K turkey trot on Thanksgiving morning. It was my second time running this race, and it was a good time. Great to be able to share a new tradition with a friend and fellow LDTer.

I don't have a ton to add to what Agricola described. The course was an out and backer, and it was relatively flat. Since it was in my hometown, I was on familiar turf. I actually ran that route in high school as part of wrestling practice -- I think I summoned that memory as I closed in on the final stretch. An interesting element of that final stretch that you can see the finish from about 3/4 of a mile away. On the one hand, it's motivating to know that the end is near -- it allows you to really kick it into gear. On the other, it's not that close, so you still have to be careful about going too early and finishing flat.

I didn't have a hard goal for this race, although I was thinking about sub-20. I ended up at 20:15, which is the fastest I've run a 5K. It was good for 7th out of 96 in my age-group -- very pleased (and surprised) with that. Sub-20 is within striking distance, so now I have a short-term goal.

Great seeing BR, AG, and spouses over the weekend. How cool to have an instant connection despite such limited facetime? I really enjoyed it -- another LDT bonus.

1 comment:

Agricola said...

Nice run. Dinner on Friday was a hoot!