Sunday, November 23, 2008

Short strider

I joined my new Sunday morning running crew at 6:30 this morning for an hour-long loop. I'm not an early morning runner, but I definitely see the appeal. To have 7 miles under my belt before 7:30AM is huge, and the stillness of the morning could grow on me.

The story on this run, though, was tightness. No injuries or anything like that, just the realization that if I stretched I could probably be running faster and more comfortably, especially on hills. My stride shortened considerabley on the last, predominantly uphill section as the hammys tightened and IT band on the outside right knee shouted at me.

Anyone out there having good luck incorporating stretching into this running thing? How about stretching while running through longer strides or higher steps, etc? Looking for something to mix into my activities over the winter.

5 comments:

Steve DiMattia said...

Phat Runner does yoga, he'll probably have something to add here.

I didn't know you could run without stretching, frankly. I stretch before and after, mainly my hammys, hips (for the piriformis), calves and shins. I like also to lay flat on the floor and stretch in both directions simultaneously as far as I can reach. And it's rare that I don't stop for 30 seconds or so somewhere along the run, mainly to stetch out my calves, which tend to tighten up some.

Agricola said...

I used to stretch, but I don't anymore unless there is some soreness post run. I'm fairly flexible and always have been but do think I should stretch.

I did Yoga about 5 years ago and it helped my breathing tremendously and also my flexibility. I've not gone back to it b/c I'm not into the whole shiva/god/worship aspect of it. I've got a religion that works well for me, thanks, but the stretching stuff is really good. I'm thinking about your shorter strides up hills. It may not be a bad thing, and it makes sense from the perspective of physics. It's harder to force your leg upwards against gravity. Lean into the hill and shift your drive to your calves rather than your quads.

FA, beware of the pre-run stretch. I've read a lot of articles that say pre-run stretching can actually lead to more injuries because you're stressing muscles that are cold . . . it's better to work into limberness by starting out slowly and then working up speed, rather than pulling on muscles and tendons that are cold and tight, and short.

Steve DiMattia said...

Huh. I'll give it a whirl.

Bennu Runner said...

Interesting point Agricola. I'm the exact opposite. I had a sports medicine speacilist tell me I have 75% flexibility of a normal person. That was in H.S. I hate stretching. However, I'm forcing myself to do it pre and post runs. However they are very different. Pre run is more of an awakening stretch, and a test to make sure everything is in working order. Post run, I stretch more to increase my flexibility and to work out any remaining soreness.

VT Runner said...

I just stretched prior to hockey tonight. Looking forward to getting into a routine.

Thanks for the feedback.