Friday, November 7, 2008

Tough Run

Weather wasn't great, was suffering from some weird vertigo thing, left hammy (not the previously injured one) was tight and left ankle was sore. I also went out last night and threw back a couple for the first time in months. Still managed to get an early 6.3 miles in. My plan was to run slow anyway, trying to keep the HR in the 155-160 zone rather than the 160 - 170 zone. My average ended up being 159, down from 165. To do it, I had to practically crawl the route. Not that I could have done much better considering the issues above. Pace was about 9:55. While I could have held a conversation during the run and never felt the urge to stop, I felt as if the slower pace resulted in more of a pounding on the legs. I'm thinking this will be the bottom end of my pace range going forward. Need to balance the HR zones and the stress to the joints.

2 comments:

Agricola said...

the end of week 10K, impressive. shooting for a pair of fives this weekend.

VT Runner said...

Awesome job on the 6+ miler.

A thought on the stress to your joints and pounding -- it could be the time on the course rather than the pace that caused the pain. Your body simply might not be used to the 55 minutes of running. It's a reason I tend to look more at time out than actual mileage.