Friday, November 14, 2008

Real Runners

Today was a day I would have bagged if I wasn't following a plan. Watched the Pat's game until the unfortunate end, slight stomach issues and lots to do at work. My program recommended 6, I planned on 4, ended up running 7.5. Longest since running Boyden Street run back in college. (That was a 10 mile route that required you to finish running up Boyden Street...the steepest hill in the area.) Headed out from the office around 5:45. Ran at a very comfortable 10 minute pace. There are 2 things holding me back from picking up the pace: hamstrings and Hal Higdon's Marathon Training book. I'm hoping the increased stretching alleviates the hamstrings soon. The increased mileage was due to mapmyrun.com underestimating the distance on the course I laid out. Much of the route was along the Charles and it wasn't easy to map the winding paths. It was along the Charles that I passed many a serious runner. BAA logos on their gear were like badges of honor...and a signal to get out of their way. I have to admit, I was somewhat intimidated. I haven't had much experience running by or with others given the time I run and my initial routes. It's been a reality check running in the more popular areas. On a more positive note, today I realized that, halfway through the month, I have over 32 miles logged. I was averaging 24, per month, during Aug.-Oct. Hopefully the holidays and upcoming travel don't derail me.

5 comments:

Agricola said...

Way to go dude! Running today is badge of honor. I bailed even having told the kids we were going -- though they didn't mind b/c their bums get wet on days like this.

Good for you. It was a nasty morning.
Might see if I can leave early and get a run in . . . no guarantees.

VT Runner said...

Way to stick to the plan! 32 miles in 2 weeks is huge. I also feel like you're the engine in the blog right now, pulling as along.

Very cool.

Steve DiMattia said...

Bennu is definetaly the engine.

Bennu Runner said...

I never would have caught the running bug again where it not for the blog. Least I can do is carry the banner while everyone else is in between training seasons/goals.

Agricola said...

You are driving this thing right now . . . it's good to see, thanks for stepping up. You're motivating me -- "did BR run today? I have to run if he's running . . . " Or not. Haha, but seriously, you're example is pulling me through my down cycle more quickly than you know.