Monday, November 3, 2008

Back At It

I took the week off after the CCM Relay. It was good to take a little break and it permitted me to wait out the time change. Unlike Bennu, I just can't motivate to run in the pre-dawn dark, though it's all in my head because the one that I got in with C2 I did enjoy (and so did he).

Well, that's fixed now because it's fairly bright by 6:30 so no more excuses. I did 5 yesterday with C1. She rode in the stroller and we ran on the Cape. It was a gorgeous, blustery day and she fell asleep somewhere along the route. It was very cool. I covered the 5 in 47 flat -- not at all my fastest for that route/distance but it's OK. I battled a stiff headwind for a bunch of it and we stopped to look at the Bass River as well. It was a nice run with my daughter on a beautiful day and that's all that really matters.

I'm looking to get back to a Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday cycle in anticipation of marathon training. Not sure about the mileage, 20 would be nice, but it's more about getting on the cycle.

2 comments:

Bennu Runner said...

How do you find running while pushing a stroller? I've yet to try but would think it adds significantly to the workout. Any pointers? I may try this weekends short run with one of the kids.

Agricola said...

It does change the workout - it actually adds some upper body into it. It took a while to get used to the loss of my arms when running, and pushing a stroller up a hill is much harder. Also, it changes my stride a bit, there's not as much room out front of your stride either. Once you get it rolling on the flats though the stroller just sort of carries its own momentum. When I go with just one of the kids it's not such a big deal. However, add in both and you definitely feel it, even on flats.

Pointers, try running on flats with one kid first. Give her a snack and let her take something to play with, but be patient because you're going to have to stop and help her with something. Like all of this stuff it's a practice thing and there is an adjustment. Make sure to anticipate your stops earlier too -- it's a bit tricky to short stop a 20 lb stroller with a 35+ lb kid in it when you're moving along at 6-8 mph (that momentum thing, gets even tougher when there are two kids in there). Finally, have fun, it's a nice time to spend with your kids.