Sunday, November 23, 2008

Suburban Duathlon

I did a duathlon today, or maybe even a modified tri. I raked for a good two hours with a couple of dump runs to get rid of my leaves. Picked up C1 down the street at a play date and took her on a quick errand. When we got home I geared up and went out for 31 minutes.

Raking is a great workout. It works the upper body, the legs, the abs. You do dead lifts and hustle barrels to the pickup, then drag it out of the truck bed and do it all again. I did a shortened stroller router this evening (solo) and it felt really really good. I'm having a good time right now just getting out and running. I'm shooting for minutes rather than miles and while I'm firmly in the 4-5.5 range right now the mileage is not the thing -- time on the road is. I'm trying to figure out some new routes, but I've been out 4 times since last Sunday and run three routes and that has helped immensely.

I dedicate today's run to my Dad's sister-in-law's father. He died today at the age of 95! He lead a long and good life. I liked him very much. He'd been sick a couple of weeks ago and in the hospital. He got sick again and said, no more hospital, no more medications. It's time. I think that's pretty amazing, brave and wise. It was time for him, he knew it. He accepted his mortality, and took control. It's not sad. It's empowering.

No comments: