Sunday, November 9, 2008

Fantastic Run

Over the past 8 months or so, I've been invited a number of times to mountain bike, road ride and now run with a crew that goes out at 6:30AM on Sunday mornings. I came close to mountain biking with them once in June, but then whimped out because of intimidation and fear of re-injuring my then fragile calf during the 3 hour, hilly ramble. Other than that, I've never really come close to joining this group until today.

I joined three of the regular guys for a run in and around Trapps Family Lodge. We ran up hills, down hills, through tons and tons of mud (took a wrong turn), along dear paths (to avoid the muddy trail), across old farm land -- all at a very respectable pace. At the end, we kicked it into high gear, which felt great.

There were two things, though, that I really enjoyed about the run. First, I was running with a new crew of guys. My connection to the group is through a hockey friend who lives nearby (and coincidentally who went to junior high school with Mrs. VTR), but I had never met the other two. Something about meeting them at dawn on a Sunday for a random trail run was very cool. It helped that we talked a lot on the run, and they were all good guys. The other thing that made my day was that I was able to hang with them from a fitness standpoint. They're fit, to say the least. I guess I should be able to hang since I just did the CCM, but I was still pleasantly surprised that my fitness didn't go away, that I have that level of fitness at all, and that this crazy hour and forty minute long run was not a problem for me.

I'm still getting used to the idea of being a runner, still surprised by it.

Later boys.

3 comments:

Steve DiMattia said...

Sounds like a great time, and early Sunday is fantastic for being up and about, if you can get up and about.

Agricola said...

Good for you, it sounds awesome. As FA says, getting up and about is the thing . . .I did bupkus with running this weekend despite big plans . . . trying not to stress about it, but i'm i a bit of a funk. I've got something new in mind, and will let you know about it tomorrow if I can make it happen . . . I did rake for like 3+ hrs yesterday though and that was enjoyable.

VT Runner said...

Raking is good. It all counts.

You call it a funk, I call it a break. You have a ton going on with the new addition. Keeping your sanity is a victory. Running, a bonus.