Thursday, November 13, 2008

Good Step

I took a good step this AM and got in a nice relaxed, and relaxing 4 mile run. I kept the pace around 8:23, ran within myself and came home a happy and contented guy. I was up at 5:15 but bailed. I woke up an hour later and hopped out of bed and headed out. Everybody was still sleeping, I got dressed in the kitchen and went. I really am a 6:00 - 6:30 AM runner, there's no getting around it. I've been running long enough that I know this about myself. I started running at 6:27 AM. It was chilly and gray but very comfortabe for running. I was happy to be on the road. I'm taking C1 & C2 tomorrow AM.

I was at a networking thing yesterday AM and walked into a bannister that gave me a charlie-horse. I wore dress shoes to this event, for the first time in months, and they made my right knee hurt. Besides those oddities, everything felt good. I have a question for the crew: Is it crazy that I'm balking at $35 to run a 5K in Decmeber? It seems really expensive to me and though it's for Special Olympics it seems like a gouge -- Falmouth costs $35, and the VTCM costs $85. JUst wondering what you all think.

5 comments:

Steve DiMattia said...

The Komen/Cure 5k was $45. The NYRR holiday 4-mile run is $15 for members, $45 for non-members, I think. I guess charity runs can get away with pricey entry fees, esp if they have a motivated base. I'd ask myself, what do I hope to accomplish by entering? To support Special Olympics? Go for it. $35 is nothing for a praiseworthy cause. To have another event to motivate for? I'd spend 35 bucks for that, but you and I are in different places and you don't seem to need a race to motivate, etc.

Agricola said...

I guess, it just seems steep to run a 5K, even for a good cause. We'll see, I want to race in December, perhaps it will be a different run.

I definitely need races to motivate, they help a lot and provide good checkpoints. Look at my tough November, I'm not exactly a self- motivated-for-th-pure-joy-of-running runner that I could be. I'm still taking it under advisement. Thanks for your input though.

VT Runner said...

$10+ per mile seems steep to me.

PhatRunner said...

Absolutely do it. One thing I have learned over the years is that money spent on something that has meaning to you really has no reasonable price limit. Plus, you set a goal to run every month and this is a huge motivator for you. Maybe they have to pay for permits or some other odd charge for organizing the race and you are running for a wonderful cause

Agricola said...

WEll, hanks for the advice but something has come that will preclude my participation in that particular race. Glad that I deliberated so much before paying $35 to a race that I now can't run!
I'll find another run in December.

The weather sort of nastied me out today -- very damp, raw and gross. Played with the kids instead.