Sunday, November 23, 2008

Riverside Run, #51

So I haven't run since last Sunday. It was a long work week, with multiple family commitments in the evenings, etc. (The bigger of the little FAs turned 8 on Thursday. Unbelievable.) So I wanted to shake off the week with something new, and not obsess over distance or time.

I ran to Riverside Park, downtown to the Intrepid, and up 43rd Street to 8th Avenue where I hopped on the C train to head home.

Google says it's 4.48 miles. I ran it in 49.10, nearly an 11 minute mile pace, which I'm glad to say is slow for me. I did stop to walk 2x for a minute each time, and stopped once to heed nature. Not sure how long that took. Whatever. It is great and clear and cold in NYC today, and windy on the riverfront. I like that route, and think I'll extend it for long weekend runs.

I'm also starting to think about trying a run with the iPod. Will certainly blog about that. Chaka Khan's Ain't Nobody was the earworm on this run; it shifted over to Zep's Travelin By The Riverside Blues when I hailed the big carrier.

Peace, fellas.

6 comments:

Agricola said...

Nice!

A new route! down the river! Sweet.

I used to run from 14 St. and 8 Ave, to the Hudson, down to the tip of Manhattan, up Water St. believe along the east river, and over the Brooklyn Bridge. It was about 7+ miles I think and gorgeous.

New routes are key. I'm looking for some myself as I'm getting bored with some of mine. Way to go.

Agricola said...

Way to get the BIRTHDAY run in dude!
I'm sorry that I didn't realize until right now!

Congratulations! All the best in the coming year and many more!

Steve DiMattia said...

Thanks. The birthday was part of the reason I sought out a new route, and didn't bother with the data points. It was a good day.

Bennu Runner said...

Happy Birthday!

Always like running new routes. It definitely breaks up the monotony of the same old routes. Running the same route at different times can also have the same affect.

Interesting that you’re thinking about the iPod. I used one for the first 3 months every day. Over the last 5 weeks, I’ve only used it once. I may consider using it again when I need a little pick me up on my tempo runs. For the normal morning jaunt, I find I prefer the serenity and quiet of the morning over Coldplay.

Steve DiMattia said...

I just started thinking about the iPod on yeterday's run, b/c I had music in my head the whole time. Mrs. FA runs with music, it is very important to her, and she's commandeered my iPod for it. A small part of my motivation to wear while running may be my interest in trading up to a new one!

VT Runner said...

Happy birthday, man! Way to celebrate with a healthy option.