Saturday, November 15, 2008

Family day at the races

There was a 5k and 1 mile fun run race at our local middle school this morning, and the whole family participated. Mrs. VTR and Little VTR1 ran the mile together and finished in 11:44! Little VTR2 and I ran the course in 16:48. It was awesome running as a family unit, and especially cool to see the race through my 3.5 year old's eyes. To her, the race was all about looking for goblins and running to keep them from getting us. The course took us through fields, along a river and by some woods, so there were lots of places for the goblins to hide. It was very cute, and effective. She stopped only once for about 10 paces. I was blown away.

The 5K was before the 1 miler, and it was a great race for me. There were about 55 - 60 runners, an intimate group. For a community race, the start was really fast. I jumped out on adrenaline with the crew, but quickly settled in with a guy I had run with the previous Sunday morning. I got myself under control and then pulled away, into my own pace. I ended up finishing in 20:48, which I think is a PR 5K for me. I placed 7th overall and get this -- I won my age group! I thought there might have been a chance that I placed, but I was shocked when they read my name as the winner. First time I've ever won anything in any race. Felt really good. A bit surreal, but good.

Another thing I have to mention is that I thought about the blog around mile 2. I actually kicked it up a gear because I felt accountable to this group for doing my best. I think that's awesome.

3 comments:

Steve DiMattia said...

Congrats on the PR and the win. It sounds like a beautiful day with the family.

Agricola said...

Way to go! You. Are. Such. A. Winnah!

That's really cool and it sound slike it was fun all around. that's a scorcher 5K. Good for you.

I know the responsible to the group feeling. It's what's not letting me give in to suckdom (though last week was personally a sucky running week). It's all about communities and like-minded folks pursuing similar goals.

Bennu Runner said...

Congrats champ! Regardless of your age group, that's a great time!