Monday, September 29, 2008

The Weaker Sex

I realized this morning that, after running for almost 8 weeks, I had yet to run in anything but perfect weather. My morning routine has me go from garage to garage and the weather can vary greatly from my house to work. I stepped out of my building this morning and almost turned around. Windy, rainy, cool/cold. Fortunately, most of the wind was just around my office and not the rest of my route. The rain never stopped, but it wasn't too bad. I definitely had several moments of panic where I thought I was going to stop and walk, but managed to pull through. It was a weird feeling, I was fresh from not having run for several days, but tired from less than ideal sleep over the weekend. I ended up running 10K in 59:24 or about 9:25 pace. Goal was 9:30 without consideration for the weather; so I'm was happy with the outcome. Goal is 15 miles for the week.

Interesting side note. I usually see around 10-15 runners/walkers on this route. Mix is 60/40 women/men. Today I saw 8...all women.

2 comments:

Agricola said...

Women are definitely tougher than men!

I've been a wimp about this rain lately, not at all able to had out. I got rained out all weekend.

Good job getting out in the crud.

VT Runner said...

If men had to deal with PMS, none of us would be here right now. No doubt, we're all wusses.

Quick funny story. A couple of years ago, flu ravaged our family. One after the other got it over the course of 4 days or so. I was by far the most dramatic -- moaning over the toilet, sweating, the works. L'il VTR's went more like this:
LVTR: burp, splash
VTR: are you ok?
LVRT: I threw up.

Period, end of story.