Saturday, September 20, 2008

Saturday Stroller Run

One of the difficulties of Saturday running for me is leaving hearth and kin and heading out on the road after a week of getting up and going. Last night I prepped the kids to come with me -- it took minimal convincing -- and after lounging around a bit this AM we headed out together at around 8:40.

We took a very different route than normal for a stroller run and wound through neighborhoods rather than running through the middle of town.  The traffic was minimal in the neighborhoods and it was pretty chill. I nearly bailed around the 12 minute mark but sucked it up, focused on running and found my rhythm.  It was a total instance of mind over matter:  focus on the purpose, the breathing, the stride and spice it with some dissociation et voila, a nice run. Based on the data on the watch it wasn't a super strenuous run (AHR: 144 MHR: 159) but we ran for 37:27 and it felt good. The last mile might have knocked down my HR because I had to stop and correct some behavior issues in the passenger cabin but all in all it was really fun.  One of the best parts, and I don't mean this sarcastically, was a stretch of several minutes where no one said anything.  We just absorbed.  It was cool.

No comments: