Thursday, September 25, 2008

Night running & changing technique


Hi all,

Hit the weights on Monday for an hour and then hit the pavement Tuesday night for an 8:30 PM run. Not sure I wanted to do this, but I wore the safety gear and headed out. The night was very cool, almost cold and it felt good to be in some true fall air. At one point of the run, I hit a pocket of warm air and then it was gone. Very neat experience. The run felt okay, but my calves hurt due to changing a little of my running style. I read something the other day about folks trying to run barefoot or in a new type of shoe that simulates barefoot running and the article said you should try to strike the ground with the midfoot where there are more bones in your foot to displace the impact of striking the ground. (By the way the foot contains 25% of all bones in the human body.) According to the article, too many runners strike the heel at the end of the run causing a more jarring and slower running experience. Not enough research to prove the theory yet, but there are some very cool shoe options out there as you can see by the photo above.

Anyways 4.4 miles, just under 38 minutes....

Cheers....

3 comments:

Agricola said...

Those are the big foot shoes, those things are hilarious.

The barefoot running movement is really interesting. There are barefoot marathoners which seems insane to me.

You are correct that the majority of folks run on their heels -- hence all the padding in that area of the shoe. I try and focus on striking the ground around mid-foot, or at least placing the foot on the ground in an even fashion. Not completely sure how successful I am but the wear patterns on my shoes tend to be concentrated around the ball of the foot into the toe (I also try to push through the whole foot). That said I do have wear spots on the outside of the heel though that's probably somewhat natural -- your heel does strike the ground eventually in the stride, and it would seem natural that if you strike ground mid-foot the outside of the heel would wear whereas striking heel first would cause the inner heel to wear.

What do I know. I need to get more billable.

Agricola said...

Apropos of the post, this came into my in-box today:

http://tinyurl.com/482a7a

Barefoot running.

VT Runner said...

Link didn't work for me.