Monday, September 8, 2008

Run 25

I got out last Thursday (run 24) and again tonight for run 25. I ran 5k in 30 minutes and 26 seconds. I ran the first 1.5 miles feeling strong, dragged a bit for the middle mile, and pushed on the last half mile. Two laps around the resevoir is 5k, almost on the nut. I did the first lap in 14.26, the last lap in an even 16 minutes. I feel pretty good about the time.

The Komen 5k is Sunday. Please render your opinion on the plan: Wednesday I aim to run 4+ miles. I'm not going to focus on time, but want to know how it feels to run past the race distance. If I can leave the office early enough, I'll run the course on Friday. If I can't, I'll get in 5k closer to home. No running on Saturday. The race is 9:ooam Sunday. Planning to spend some time next week on the bike for a change of pace, then focus on the CCM.

Since the CCM requires that I get up to 10k in about five weeks, I'll look to the blog for advice, and inspiration.

3 comments:

Agricola said...

Hey, nice work on your 5K time, that's great. Don't over-distance this week, there's no need at this point. Just keep running at a moderate pace, keep the legs and lungs tuned-up and then go out hard on race-day -- you'll do great.

Good idea to shake things up with the bike.

As far as working up to 10K . . . keep doing your 5K runs and then pick one day/week (Sunday) to work in a longer run. Then keep working on your 5Ks during the week and bump up the 4 miler to 5.

The race is 10/26 so here's what I'd try:

9/14 Komen 5k
9/15 --19 2-3 5ks
9/21 -- 4 miles
9/22 --26 2-3 5ks
9/28 -- 5 miles
9/29 -- 10/3 2-3 5ks
10/5 -- 4 miles
10/6-10 -- 2-3 5ks
10/12 -- 10K
10/13-17 -- 2 5ks
10/19 -- 4 miles
10/26 -- race day, 5k - 10k

I'll work on a similar schedule, with some more mileage thrown in for good measure, for myself.

VT Runner said...

Great tips from Agricola.

I'd also recommend seeing the Komen course if you're not familiar with it. Even a driveby will do fine. That way you can visualize yourself flying through it all Saturday night.

Psyched to hear about your first race!

Agricola said...

Don't forget to do 2 more 5k's between 10/20-24. You don't want need to taper that much before a 10K.