Saturday, September 27, 2008

San Francisco, Run #33

I went into a Nike Town in San Francisco on Thursday. Now you have to give Nike props for its profound influence on how we view athleticism, and how its Just Do It campaign inspired lots of people. But in Nike Town I couldn't help but conclude that Nike has sacrificed its athleticism creds on the high altar of hip urban fashion. The same was true in the NorthFace store up the street.

Anyway, morning runs still seem much more difficult to me than evening runs. I got out before 5:45am Friday morning and struggled along for 32 minutes. I won't bother to measure the distance. I ran from my hotel to the end of a pier on San Francisco Bay, where I stopped to watch a cruise ship pass by, silently and swiftly and huge, and lit up like a beacon, or many beacons, in the early morning darkness. That was an unexpected treat. And I am pleased with my performance on the San Francisco hills. I didn't run up Lombard Street, but climbed some hills nonetheless. I am feeling the benefits of leaning forward, and leading with my head.

Back at home today, and taking the weekend off.

1 comment:

Agricola said...

Those are the mother of all urban hills!

I love ships on the harbor. that was one of my favorite things about our place in Brooklyn Hts. -- proximity to the harbor.

5:45, you early birds! I gotta go to bed earlier . . .