Friday, September 19, 2008

A three hour tour

Well, two hours fifty five minutes, actually.

It was quite an event this morning. I joined the early risers club, leaving the house at 6:17am, and it was gorgeous. The moon was still bright in the sky, air crisp with some low-lying fog that looked like...well...clouds (creativity escapes me -- I guess all the energy went to the legs). Whenever I get up that early, I think it should happen more often because of the serenity of early morning. Too bad the bed is so comfortable or it might actually happen more.

Anyway, the run was an event. I ran about an hour before meeting a friend for the final two. To say the route was hilly would be an understatement, and I threw in a couple of out and backs over the tough sections due to poor planning. I was toast at the end. Shuffling, not running. But I did it, and I feel really good for that. I iced down in a cold bath after, and now I'm ready to pop a bunch of ibuprofen to get me through some stiffness. No bad pain to report, which is always good.

Put this one into the books. Not sure of the distance, but it's the time on the road that counts for me (mental prep as much as anything). One month to go. I'm trusting that the work will pay dividends on the Cape.

Enjoy the weekend!

2 comments:

Agricola said...

Nice job! I'm intrigued by the weekday long runs. Well, those end Monday -- good luck. I was thinking about you on my run and thinking about coming out of a long layoff -- you're psyched to go back to work but you;re probably sad about removing yourself from the flow of the house which is really cool to be a part of.

Can't say I miss the long runs, but I'm strangely looking forward to them for when I start to train . . . I think I'm really becoming a runner.

"the fog looked like . . . clouds . . ." Classic, I laughed out loud!

VT Runner said...

Did the mileage calc on Saturday.
19.3 miles.
Feels good to have that done.