Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Enlightenment

Got out at 6AM for a 12 mile run today before work. It was dark on my drive downtown to meet the two folks that I ran with -- a beautiful time of day, but enlightening? Not really.

I ran with a friend of ours and her coach (also a woman). These two are extremely strong runners. One won a 30K race last weekend and the other is a personal trainer and, as I mentioned, a running coach. It was cool to be out with such accomplished striders, but that wasn't the enlightening part either.

The enlightenment came with the "girl talk" they launched into within 1 minute of starting the run. I'll just say that these two aren't big on inhibition, and boys aren't the only ones who can throw down the locker room talk. It was a trip. Refreshing. Enlightening even.

The run was tough but good. I got a kick out of ripping off 12 miles before work mid-week. Never done that before. Doing it with 2 new running partners made it even better as the community nature of running that we've all talked about here was palpable.

3 comments:

PhatRunner said...

Nice work! The question is were they able to keep up the conversation the entire time you were running.

Agricola said...

I'm sure you threw down the girl talk too you big sissy!

Nice, that's an earth shaking paradigm shift, the 12 mile run midweek, morning. It's doable, obviously. Let us know how you feel this afternoon. I might have to try something like that someday . . .

It's all mental. Having partners helps too. Nice work.

VT Runner said...

Wednesday was not a problem in terms of fatigue. I was a bit surprised by that.

And I couldn't throw down the girl talk because it was more like guy talk from when we were 22. Threw me for a loop. Funny stuff.