Thursday, October 30, 2008

I have a plan!

After receiving some good advice from the LDT'ers and doing some more research, I settled on the 13 week winter plan by Hal Higdon. Seem to fit with what I hoped to accomplish and with the experience of others here. I start on Monday.

Finally hit the road this morning after 3 days off. I was a little sore (hammys) so I took an extra day. Also slept wrong one night resulting in serious neck stiffness. Ran an easy 4 miles on a new route heading into the city from the office. The foot pod is great for trying out new runs. It was actually the most enjoyable run I've had in a long time. I ran easier than when I run 2-3 and harder than when running 6+ without the usual "OMG I'm going to die" panic around the 4 mile mark. 38 minutes and felt very strong at the end. Winter is definitely coming. It was 29 F when I started and I finished before any hint of a sunrise. I actually enjoy running in the dark. There's a serenity when running in the dark that helps me relax. Everything is quieter (fewer cars, no construction, etc). I used to prefer running at 11 PM during the summers in high school for the same reasons.

Also did the push up test today after my run. Only managed 13. I might do the push ups prior to the runs going forward. I'll start the program on Monday.

2 comments:

VT Runner said...

Never seen that program by Higdon. I'll be interested to see how it goes. Looks good.

By the end of that you might be lining up nicely for the Vermont City Marathon.

Bennu Runner said...

That might be a bit aggressive. I'm not making any goals other than to finish the winter program. I've set too many long term goals in the past that were unrealistic.