Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Run 40

I got out this morning along a track beside the Puget Sound, a bit less than 3 miles out and back from my hotel. It was 46 degrees, and I was NOT prepared. All I had was a pair of shorts and a technical short-sleeve, so I threw on an extra t-shirt I picked up at a client's office yesterday and wore a baseball cap, which for me is atypical. In fact, the cold wasn't so bad once I got going. My hands stayed cold throughout the run, but the rest of me warmed up with the activity. Lesson learned: wear gloves. I have a thin pair of polypro glove liners that will likely do the job.

I wish I could say that it was a great experiential run, with the natural beauty of the harbor, etc. In fact it was a tough run. I didn't feel good doing it. And the weather was kinda nasty as well as cold. It was very cloudy, which obscured the view. All well. Check the box. The CCMR is in 11 days.

Peace,

4 comments:

Agricola said...

I was hoping for a rapturous account of Puget Sound and the Cascades in the background . . . sadly I think you experienced the reality of life in Seattle -- chilly and damp.

Safe travels!

Steve DiMattia said...

I learned last night at dinner that some think the vitamin D deficiency that is common here due to lack of exposure to sunlight may be linked to the region's 40% greater incidence of breast cancer, compared to the rest of the country.

Agricola said...

It's definitely linked to the region's higher suicide rate . . .

VT Runner said...

Figuring out your layering/clothing strategy for running is tough, and totally a personal preference thing. Good to have some colder weather runs before the race because you never know what you'll get on the Cape this year.

Way to go with #40. I was in St. Louis for 3 days this week and never was able to squeeze in a run. Did see the Gateway Arch, though. Very impressive.