Friday, October 3, 2008

Treadmill

Scheduling and intestinal issues forced me onto the treadmill this morning instead of my 6 mile loop. I lasted a mile. Everything below the knee was aching to the point I thought I might injure myself. I'll have to get out tomorrow for a longer run at home. I may also incorporate some treadmill work into my non running days just to get acclimated to it again. My plan for the winter is to stay outdoors and only use the treadmill when footing conditions are a concern. I'll need to ease in to the treadmill if I want to get up to 5 miles on it.

3 comments:

Agricola said...

I've never run on a treadmill.

If you're concerned about winter footing in lousy conditions check Yaktrax. I've never used these, but know some folks who do/have and they say they're great. I look at snow and ice running as a way to strengthen feet and lower legs and improve balance. It's also a good excuse to slow it down and focus on form.

One word of caution, be wary of the aches and pains in your legs. I'm a bit concerned that you might be pushing it too far right now. You're coming back after a long layoff, then an injury and frankly 6 miles may be too much right now. Why not focus on building your base more and work up to the 6 more gradually? Just a thought.

Steve DiMattia said...

Hate the treadmill, but hate ice, too. What to do.

Bennu Runner said...

I'm probably pushing hard, but not too hard. I've had similar experiences on treadmills in the past. My short run the day after the 6 miles had no unexpected issues. (I expect to be somewhat sore and tired after a longer run.) I'm probably less at risk going longer and slower, than shorter and faster.