Friday, October 24, 2008

Run 44

So I was excited all day today for the CCMR. Then I went running. I did my predictable resevoir loop at a predictable, for me, pace. My calves hurt a bit, and I asked myself what I ask myself on nearly every run. Why Exactly Am I Running? And so I thought awhile about that. Here are my answers.

I am running because Agricola waved his arms and gave a big smile at mile 24 of the VCM, and that couldn't have been easy.

I am running because it was obvious how badly VTR wanted to run the course, calf injury be damned.

I am running because it is something new I am sharing with my beautiful wife.

Because I've talked with Bennu and Phat maybe 2x in the last 15 years, and now we talk everyday.

Because every day I stop work to read new posts and comments on the blog, and stop work to read them again later.

Because whenever she sees me with sneakers, my smallest freeartist says, "Ya goin' runnin' daddy? [Long pause] "Can I come, too?"

Because I didn't think I could run three miles without stoppoing until the day I did it, and because now I think I can run six.

Because when I'm not running, I'm more relaxed and energetic. Sleep and sex are better, too. And post-run meals. And seltzer. I am drinking alot of seltzer. And fewer martinis and beer.

Because I've seen some beautiful new places on foot -- in Banff and Jasper, and San Francisco and Seattle -- and found interesting new places near home, too.

Because I want to be better, and better still.

CCMR will be run 45. Run 1 was on June 29. Thanks to the blog for carrying me along. See you all tomorrow.

Peace,

2 comments:

Agricola said...

Terrific post!

I'm proud of you and Mrs FA. We'll see you tomorrow and we'll run together on Sunday. How cool.

Again, terrific post, one of the best on this blog and it's been terrific to watch you keep on it, at it, and just keep going. Safe drive Saturday.

VT Runner said...

By far the best post of the blog.

Brought a tear to my eye. Seriously.

Thanks.