Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Recovery lesson

A quick note on recovery, and what I've learned over the past couple of days. First, icing the legs after a long run definitely speeds recovery. I went from the CCM finish to the massage tent. I'm sure the quick rub down helped a bit, but it really didn't feel like it was touching my leg issues. From the massage table, we went to the beach, where I waded thigh high into the water. I made it for a 10 count and then got pukey on the way out because the water was so cold. You know the achy feeling you get in your feet when you walk into cold water? It was like that but the whole leg, after a marathon. Ouch. Anyway, I went in about 6 - 7 times over the next 45 minutes for up to 30 seconds at a stretch, and it definitely helped my recovery. I was able to make it through the 3.5 hour ride home to VT Sunday night and, even better, was able to walk up and down stairs without major pain. Sure, I walked gingerly, but I wasn't crushed. I chaulk that up to the healing power of the ocean and specifically the cold.

More on recovery....On Monday nights, I play hockey with a great group of guys. I planned to skip, but got the urge to play as I was driving home from work yesterday. Just as I was thinking about the possibility, my buddy called to convince me to go. I ended up playing, scoring, and having fun with the crew. I was a bit worried that I'd do some damage to my legs (like literally rip my hammy out), but in the end I felt decided that using the different muscles during a skate might help loosen me up. By the time I hit the sack that night, I felt much better.

I've also picked up with a Tuesday lunchtime league, and yes, I played again today. I almost bailed, but again decided that using different muscles would help work out some of the leftover lactic acid. I was a bit slower today, but the skate did me some good. I had lots of energy for the afternoon.

Now, I'm exhausted and going to bed. I'm also walking down stairs with no pain (though still deliberately slow) on day two post-race -- the day that is always the worst for me. So, I guess I've learned that icing is a must after long runs and keeping active, even after a marathon is a good thing. I would never have expected to feel this good after feeling so bad on Sunday, so I'm passing this one on to the group. Don't rush out for a run right after a long race, but a ride, session on the eliptical, yoga? Definitely.

Good night.

1 comment:

Agricola said...

Good advice. I found scrambling on the rocks at Smugglers Notch helped me post VCM in May. I also mentioned to Mrs. FA that she should ice her legs when she got back to NYC . . . I didn't heed my own advice and was stiff yesterday.

Feeling the itch to hit the road, now if I can get the itch to overcome my loathing of pre-dawn darkness, I'll be all set.