Monday, October 13, 2008

Atonement

Last week marked the Jewish holiday of Yom Kippur, the day of atonement and some of my neighbors were suffering through their fast. This week marks my week of atonement. Child Three's arrival disrupted things a bit but I was hopeful that I'd get out during the week -- what with paternity leave and all that. Fat chance, Child (or should I say Vector?) Two got a wicked cold that turned into a cough about the same time it took root in my lungs and I spent the week battling through that. Couple illness with totally broken sleep, and tons of bad treats around the house and my running is a mess.

I went out yesterday with a neighbor for 3.3 and did it in a glacially slow 29+ minutes. Ten days off and much diminished lung capacity hurt me. I've been hacking and wheezing since Thursday (wicked tight in the lungs) but I couldn't let another beautiful day go by without a run. I got out again this morning on the same route and ran only about 30 seconds faster but I did stop to watch hawk that landed on a telephone pole and also stopped to work out a nasty little stitch in my ribs around the two mile mark. I'm bummed about the pace and I think it's more related to running sick than anything else right now, hopefully my lungs return and I can rebound nicely. My goal is to get out three more times this week at this distance and then go longer on Sunday and knock out a few more runs the week before the CCMR. It will be fun, see you all soon.

4 comments:

Steve DiMattia said...

As you have told me many times, be careful with yourself, go slow, go steady, and you'll bounce back.

Agricola said...

I'm going slow, believe me. I just can't stay on the shelf any longer and don't want to implode on my team.

I'm also curious what it's like to run such broken sleep and am now figuring it out -- it's all part of "endurance."

Steve DiMattia said...

The first six months of a new life are all about endurance...

VT Runner said...

The first six months of a new life give new meaning to the work endurance.