Monday, October 27, 2008

The Race

Racing, and running in general for that matter, brings with it a series of epiphanies. As I sat down to write this post, I really didn't know where to start, what to title it. (Still not sure where it's going to end up.) Through various sections of the race, my mind latched onto titles like, Getting Your Ass Kicked, Humbled, and Living Through It. At those points, this blog was a welcome distraction. I was blogging virtually as if I had already run the race. Implied in that in-race daydream, I realize now, is the fact that I pictured myself post-race, finished and writing. So, in the lowest points of the race I used the blog to create the positive scenaro that I needed to get through it. Nice.

I digress. I opened the blog tonight to find your impressions of the events and emotions surrounding the CCM and Bennu's welcome back run in Dedham. The strength of the bond we've formed here struck me. Made the races seem almost secondary to the dialog that's going on here. A supportive, funny discourse on accepting new challenges, enduring set backs, pushing forward and sharing the entire progression with friends we've known for going on 20 years. Very cool. Epiphany #1 for this evening.

So, what do I write about the race? Mrs. VTR inadvertantly helped out a few minutes ago when, after hearing about Mixed Drinkers' strong placing, she asked where I came in. I hadn't checked and replied that this race in particular was just about the struggle to finish, not about the time. I was serious, and I still feel that way,... but curiousity got to me, so I checked the results. I finished in the top 25% overall, 37%. I compete against my own goals, but I'm a competitor.

Now, I'm into it. I want to know what really happened. So here it goes by the numbers:
Mile 1: 7:04
Mile 2: 7:19
Mile 3: 7:23
Mile 4/5: 14:31
Mile 6: 7:22
Mile 7 7:21
Mile 8: 7:23
Mile 9: 7:25
Mile 10: 7:13
Mile 11: 7:46
Mile 12: 7:51
Mile 13: 7:33
Mile 14: 7:42
Mile 15: 8:08
Mile 16: 9:06
Mile 17 8:43
Mile 18/19: 20:32
Mile 20: 10:55
Mile 21/22: 20:58
Mile 23: 10:56
Mile 24: 11:45
Mile 25: 10:39
Mile 26: 10:09
Mile 0.2: 1:53

Epiphany #3, I bonked...definitely, but I knew that. In looking at the numbers, I realize that I also dug deep on mile 17 to pull myself together and again on miles 25 through the finish. Feels good.

Epiphany #4 (just had it), running gives us an opportunity to accomplish great things and feel good about yourself, for yourself. This blog gives us an opportunity to share that feeling with friends. Not a common thing these days. Very cool.

That's all for now. Thanks Agricola's for opening your home for the pre-race dinner. Thanks LDT-ers for sharing the experience.

5 comments:

Bennu Runner said...

Congrats! I still can’t believe you’re running the times you are! Keep in mind I haven’t seen you run since we last ran together 16 years ago. (Up Cambridge street with a bunch of woorats in tow!)

Agricola said...

Great comment BR. I remember that.

Thanks for the post VTR, really great. Great effort on Sunday, way to dig deep, way to finish strong. There's something very poignant in marathon splits. As you've said they tell the story, almost better than words.

When I finished my leg I heard from the Mixed Drinkers that they'd seen you, and that you were hurting but that they were all psyched that you walked a bit, after being hunched over and then started to run . . . awesome.

that's the beauty of running -- it's so simple yet so complicated. In that complicated simplicity we find opportunities for transcendence -- of pain, of our spiritual selves, of our mental and physical selves.

As I've said here multiple times we live cushy lives. Running is hard. It hurts. It makes us better, stronger. You were strong you persevered, ripped a great time but suffered through it. you're a better runner now, and we're better for having witnessed it.

Are we better people from running? Not necessarily, but I think that one of the things we see on this blog is that we know ourselves better than some other might and that comes from the effort of striving, of working towards a goal. You ran tough, you showed guts -- everybody who ran Sunday did -- and you finished strong.

I'm proud of you. Saturday night was great,we totally enjoyed it and mi case es su casa, anytime.

VT Runner said...

Humbled again. Awesome.

VT Runner said...

BR funny memory about Cambridge Street. You finished strong that night.

But we have run together since then. The Falmouth Road Race maybe 8 years ago. You noted that I covered more distance up and down (I bounced more than ran) than I did forward and suggested that I focus on my hips, making sure that they're moving in the right direction, ahead. I've held on to that one. It was great advice.

Bennu Runner said...

Ahhh. I had fogotten that...along with a lot of other running knowledge that is slowly coming back!