Saturday, February 28, 2009

Fast Five

Child One learned how to ride a bike today! We're psyched for her.

After taking some spins around the local playground we headed home and I headed out for a run with a neighbor. He was getting ready to go, and I invited myself along. It was good for motivation. He hadn't run two months due to a calf strain, and was looking forward to getting out. He thought he'd run 7:30s. I didn't say much except, you set the pace.

Now, to be honest 7:30 is way faster than I wanted to run before tomorrow's run (any workout to be honest), but I knew I could drop off if need be, and I also wasn't sure he'd be able to drop the hammer like that. He set the pace and was pretty winded not long into the run, as we ascended a long hill, and I just cruised along, beating him up each climb and ratcheting it back a bit on the flats to reign in the pace. That said, we still ran a sub-40 5 miler and he was there the whole time. He has also run me into the ground in the past and does workout in the 7:15-7:30 range when in shape. It was great to run with another human being . . . fifteen on tap for tomorrow, in what's shaping up to be a nasty weather day. Good times.

1 comment:

VT Runner said...

Sounds like a great mix-it-up run. Good luck on the 15. Hope the weather holds for you, although running in the snow can be fun, too.