Thursday, February 19, 2009

Run's #7, 8 & 9

So 2009 is not starting off so well on the running front. Since my last post I've run 3x. Last Wednesday was a 3 mile run without much fanfare. Left shin hurt a little, but didn't slow me down. Took a couple of aleve in advance which may have helped. On Friday, I tried to run the same route. For the first time since I've started running again (7/28/08), I had to stop mid run. Both shins were killing me. The right shin, which had never hurt before, is the one that stopped me. Had to walk the last mile back to the office, and it was a painful walk. Of note is that I didn't take aleve prior to the run. Thoroughly frustrated, I finally made an appointment with the doc for next Wednesday. Technically the appointment is for my wrists and ankle. At this point, I can't run or play golf the way I want to. Best if everyone keeps their distance from me these days. I did manage to run 3 this morning. 2 aleve an hour before helped. Only mild discomfort in the shins during the run. What puzzles me the most is why the shins didn't bother me at all for the first 6 months. I was heavier then and running longer distances. After the ankle induced 4 week layoff, the shins have been giving me problems. WTF. I may be a less frequent poster on the blog for a while. While I enjoy the progress and experiences of everyone, it adds to the frustration that I can't get out and do the same.

1 comment:

Agricola said...

Bummer. Sorry to hear about this.
It's good you're going to the doctor.

Here are some links on shin splints:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shin_splints

http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cybertherapist/front/lowerleg/shinsplints.htm

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/shin-splints/DS00271