Sunday, February 1, 2009

Run 6, The NYRR Gridiron 4-Miler

Mrs. FA and I ran the Gridiron 4-Miler this morning in Central Park.

Though the weather warmed to the mid-30s, there were not nearly as many runners as at the frigid holiday classic in December and that made for a much easier start. There was also less fanfare and celebration, and NO music, so the start was less exciting. I think this race is a box-to-check for folks working towards a marathon qualification. And it is mid-winter, after all. The whole race had a let's-get-this-one-done vibe.

My unofficial time was 38.25, and given my lack of training I'm happy with that. It's a fine benchmark for the rest of the year.

I started out super strong and felt great for the first 2 mostly up hill miles. The third mile threw some hills at me that I wasn't expecting, and shortly after the 3rd mile marker something happened and from then on I was just happy to finish. I regretted passing on the water breaks and not eating more breakfast. If that's what bonking feels like, then I did it.

I'll post my official time tomorrow when I check in on your adventures. Peace,

6 comments:

VT Runner said...

Congratulations! There's something to be said for checking the box, especially this time of year.

Agricola said...

What "happened?" That is a curious statement in a race report.

Way to get out and run.

VT Runner said...

Yeah, what "happened?"

Lacking an explanation, I'm thinking it had something to do with unwelcome "movements."

Steve DiMattia said...

Not sure what 'happened,' which is why I was ambiguous. I just stopped feeling strong, had to work harder, etc. I think I just ran real low on gas.

Steve DiMattia said...

I had a "movement" before the race, and welcomed it...

Agricola said...

Running is like that sometimes. you're feeling good one stride and the next your pop just vanishes. Good job toughing it out.