Friday, February 13, 2009

Another run

I got a 5.5 miler in today at lunch. This was my easy day, and it felt good to just cruise.

I met with my coach today and learned that I'll probably have to up my food intake as the miles progress. I'd bet we all underestimate the amount of energy we burn as we run, and I know very little about what I should be eating and when. I've always subscribed to the everything in moderation philosophy of eating, which has served me fine. It will be cool to look a little more closely at food as fuel as I get into the training.

The one great tip for today was that I (we) should eat something immediately after finishing a run, like before cool down. The coach suggested a banana, energy bar or a big glass of chocolate or regular milk. I chomped a bunch of almond (the only thing I could find at the moment), and they were the best tasting almonds I had ever had, so my body must've appreciated the protein. Anyway, passing along a good tip for the group in case you hadn't heard that one before.

Otherwise, the run was uneventful.

Have a good weekend, boys.

1 comment:

Agricola said...

good job on the distance and nice advice. I remember the apple I ate when I finished NYC in 04 -- a mushy bruised macintosh -- best apple ever.