Sunday, March 1, 2009

Not dead yet

I haven't been able to carve out time to post, but I have been running this week. I felt under the weather Tuesday - Wednesday, so I took a breather. I got back on track with a five miler on Thursday, a seven mile hill workout on Friday, three on Saturday, and the biggy, a 16 miler today.

Here are some random thoughts about the runs and the week...
- Running is good for sinus issues. Gets things flowing and to FA's point on lungies, you can just expectorate them out as they show themselves
- If you feel like crap on the run, keep at it for a bit and give your body a chance to rebound. I thought I was going to hurl on my hill workout (and not due to exceptional efforts). I was really slow and felt weird through the first three reps. Reps four through six were a different story altogether, with number six being the best of the day. I'm glad I gave my body the chance to work itself out, so I could feel the satisfaction of the workout.
- Running with people is more than a good thing, it's necessary if you're going to run a lot. It mixes things up and reminds us of the connections to be made through being active. I've run on my own for the past two weeks, but had a friend join me for nine of the 16 this morning. It made a big difference both in terms of adding variety and the camaraderie.
- Gear! I went out and bought two (yes, two) new pairs of shoes this week. I realized that my training pair usually expires about a week before the marathon, which stresses me out. Coach recommended getting the two pair, so I have two to train in (in case one gets wet, muddy, etc.) and one to break in with about 50 miles right before the race, so their perfect on race day. I got two pairs of Ascics Gel Nimbus to go with my other pair of Brooks. The Ascics were simply cushier. Gear is fun.
- I'm going to invest in a Garmin GPS watch thingy. I'll let you know how that goes. Again, gear is fun.
- GMAA -- I joined the Green Mountain Athletic Association this week to get a discount on my shoes. Not sure what the GMAA is all about, but it feels kind of cool to officially be part of a larger VT contingent of runners.
- Repetition brings strength. I'm no longer paranoid about injury. I have some tightness here and there, but nothing like my first couple of weeks on the program when I thought each step would bring a tear or strain. I'm getting stronger which is neat to feel.
- Do bears poop in the woods? Not sure, but Berry's do.

We're heading to Alta this week, which means my posts will consist of stories about skiing and short runs. I get back next Monday and have my first training race, the New Bedford Half Marathon on March 15. I'm curious about this race. Don't know at all what to expect, although the coach says she and I will come up with a plan/goal for it. Imagine that, a structured goal beyond finish time.

Later boys. Thanks for indulging me as I catch up.

1 comment:

Agricola said...

What's behind the Garmin? Interesting. I need to sign up for that race in NB. Will do it tonight if there are still spots, totally lost track of the days.

Safe trip and have fun in Alta.