Sunday, February 22, 2009

Mind games

I ran 15 miles today. Solo. 2:20. In a snowstorm. I'm proud of that.

I almost turned back about three times in the first three minutes because running on unplowed roads in a snowstorm seemed ridiculous. I felt like I should be skiing or doing something fun. Then I convinced myself that running in the snow really isn't that different from snowshoeing or cross country skiing. All are great workouts that take place outdoors in the snow. Once I made the mental shift, the run got way easier. I didn't give the tough footing a second thought, took the wind in stride, and went with it. It was actually fun on those stretches when the endorphins kicked in. Plus, I knew this run would be tucked away as "what are you made of" material for the marathon. I am glad I stuck with the plan and got it in.

One other note on this run. I ate a huge biwl of oatmeal with bananas and strawberries and drank a big mug of coffee about an hour before starting. I felt the energy from that meal through most of the run, and I supplemented along the way with almost a full package of Shotblocks. It's all about the fuel, and I'm sticking with oatmeal for long runs from here on out.

Still snowing up here, by the way. We got about 8 inches already today, and it's supposed to snow throughout the night. And that's on top of about 10 inches a day at the ski resorts from Thursday - Saturday. Bring on the spring skiing...in about a month!

2 comments:

Agricola said...

I was wondering about you and the snow. Nice late season dump for the ski areas. Way to get out and hit it, impressive. I'm not sure I'd have persevered for 15 in those conditions, this is a very motivating post to read.

what do you wear to keep dry?

THe oatmeal worked well for you? Good to know. I chowed three leftover mini-waffles, strawberries and 3 shot blocks before heading out, and actually ate french toast about 3 hours before. Fueling up is key. I ate a peanut butter, salty granola bar post run, during my cool down yesterday, and the first two bites I was like a dog on a bone, my body couldn't get it in fast enough. It was interesting, and involuntary, I attacked the thing.

VT Runner said...

Hey there. Here's what I've been wearing on the cold/snowy runs:
- Hat and light gloves
- Top half: first layer is a long sleeve capeline (thin), second layer is a softer, thicker technical fleecy kind of thing (still thinner than casual fleece), windbreaker/shell over the top.
Bottom half -- thin, knee high ski socks; either tech long johns or patagonia capaline short shorts and a pair of running shorts; thin running sweats over the bottom.

That's it. Seems to be working ok so far.

The food. I'm all about it right now.

I'm right on the edge of getting sick, though, so I took a break today after hockey and beers last night. I have the mild body aches, chill, etc. that tells me something's coming. I'm hoping lots of sleep takes care of it.