Monday, February 16, 2009

Under My Belt

I got my first long run of marathon training under my belt yesterday I got for 10 at 7:40 AM. I walked back in the door after a quarter mile walking cool down at 9:25. No watch, no data.
I felt good throughout, and surprised myself a bit. I'm feeling no soreness today and ran the whole thing with the exception of the turnaround when I chowed some orange shot blocks and swigged some water/electrolyte drink for the return journey. I'm in better shape than I thought so I was happy, and am happy to have the double digit distance under my belt.

Two things about yesterday: First, I used my new REI Double shot water pack (2 water bottles, and a little pack between for things). It was very comfortable, and I liked it a lot, it fit well across my back. I think I can recommend it. Second, I carried one bottle with Nuun Tri-Berry Electrolyte drink. It's a low calorie, sugar free sport drink and I liked it very much, though it's got some fizz nd was a bit sudsy on the run. Gatorade etc. makes me feel nasty after a while so I'm happy to be trying the Nuun. I usually drink it post-run as a recovery beverage, but it seemed to work pretty well on the run.

Happy belated birthday to BR. Have a great year.

3 comments:

VT Runner said...

Congrats! The first double digit miler is a big one, and I'm glad (though not surprised) that you had a good experience. You have a great mindset for this race, and it's awesome that you're seeing results.

I would be willing to bet you're having good results because of the good attitude and not the other way around. It's (almost) all mental, right?

Agricola said...

working hard on keeping a positive outlook in all aspects of my life. starting my own thing and networking etc. is good for me and I'm keeping a positive outlook in that realm and it's bleeding into things like running. Act positive, and you will be positive.

A good thing about the 10 miler was that I wasn't dying on it and had decent stretches of just being in the zone, in a nice rhythm and it wasn't a grinder (that helped). I will also put it out there that the 10 miler is a great distance. long enough to get in the zone, but not so long that it kills you and eats up your day, and it feels like an accomplishment. it might be my favorite long distance run.

Steve DiMattia said...

Nice going. And with new gear. Love to hear about gear.