Tuesday, February 10, 2009

That word again

Fartlek.

Today was another day of the sprints. I did a 2 mile warmup followed by 8X60 "sprints" (nothing fast about them) and warmed down for a total of 6 miles. It took about 47:15 minutes. I did the run at lunch, which ended up being a great thing. I felt fairly lethargic this morning because of hockey, beers and a 1:00AM bedtime last night. I had a presentation to make at 2:00 today, and the run put me in the right mindset. Nerves were in check and it went well. There's another fringe benefit of running -- it clears the head, shakes out the cobwebs and calms the nerves...at least on this day.

3 comments:

Steve DiMattia said...

It's not likely an issue in the cold weather, but when you run at lunch in the warmer months, how do you get yourself feeling fresh again for the afternoon in the office?

VT Runner said...

My father in law's shop is right down the road and has a nice shower in it. I start and finish there, which works well because Mrs. VTR works Tuesdays, so I get to see her and the kids for a bit. This set up will work until my mid-week runs get longer, at which time I'll have to go before or after work. I'm less thrilled about either of those options. I like getting the run in mid-day when I'm away from the family anyway.

Agricola said...

Nice, you're motivated right now. Way to go. One thing I noticed being up at 6:15 today was that it's not as dark this week as it was last week, so that's a bonus. It's always easier to get rolling if there's even a hint of light outside. Good work.