Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Rest and sprints

Today was a good run. I was supposed to go yesterday, but took the day off because I got in the way of a slapshot on Monday night and took a puck to the calf. I was still a bit tender there (and overall really), so I got in an extra day of rest, and it really did me some good.

My task today was a 6 miler with a 2 mile warm up, followed by 5 x 2 minutes of sprints with one minute rest in between, and ending with a cool down for the remaining miles. For the first time in a while, I didn't feel like I was on the verge of a muscle strain. I felt stronger and that was a first. Like Agricola, I think the benefits of the mileage are starting to kick in to the point that I'm feeling them during the shorter runs. That's satisfying.

Here's to equal parts mileage and rest -- both are important if we're going to get there on Memorial Day Weekend, right A?

1 comment:

Agricola said...

Yes, rest and miles are important. Keeping a positive mental attitude helps, but I'm listening to my body and it's good to read that you seem to be doing the same. I'm trying to get on a 4 day/week cycle right now and not getting all psycho about 5/wk . . . I'm having more fun right now with this than last year, and I think it's largely due to the blog and following guidelines loosely.