Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Fartlek

So, I have this coach, and I'm trying to figure out whether or not I'm into the program. On the one hand, it was a gift, and I should just embrace it and go for whatever she throws me. On the other, running is an extremely personal pursuit for me. I do it for me and make my own decisions about it. Answering to someone else (or feeling like I have to answer to someone else) is not my bag with running -- I put enough pressure on myself for work deliverables, I don't need pressure layered onto my recreation. The trick is keeping my mind in the place that this is coaching thing is an experiment, one that will push me and expose me to running ideas and practices that I haven't encountered. At the end of the day, I'm the one doing the running (and chosing to do it), coach or not. The coach is a bonus...at least that was the intent.

Anyway, after missing yesterday's workout, I got up early today and hit the road for a 6 mile fartlek run that went like this: 2 mile warm up, followed by 8x30 second sprints with 60 seconds recovery in between, followed by the remaining distance as a cool down. The sprint thing is called a fartlek (I think). I've never done one, and I have to admit it was very cool. My legs felt a bit like cinder blocks, but I think that was mainly because my body was freaking out trying to keep my working parts warm in the -1 degree temps. (I wish the bod had sent some blood to my nether zone -- I literally almost threw up as the frank and beans thawed out. Seriously, it hurt that much.) Anyway, I went for it on the sprints and definitely didn't set any speed records, but I did get out of my comfort zone. I felt curious doing it, like I was exploring or something. Hard to describe, but it was cool. I ended up pushing it hard for the last mile of the "cool down" to get close to a negative split for the back portion of the out and back. I ended up about even on that front. It was a solid, energizing run.

I'm still on the fence about the coach. Yesterday's run peaked my interest, so I'm in for another day, which means I have to do my first hill workout tomorrow. I'll let you know how that goes.

On another note, I had my most productive, positive day in a few weeks today, and I attribute it fully to the run this morning. It's amazing what a decent burn and some endorphins will do for you.

Later boys. Glad to see this blog heating up again after the January chill.

5 comments:

Agricola said...

You really froze the old Frank and beans if it hurt that bad . . . mine didn't get that frozen, dude, but the twinge is no fun. In all honesty I can't recommend the Duofold wind blocking briefs enough. They are for biking and they keep the unit from freezing by adding a nice extra layer to the base.

Anyway, interesting workout. I've never heard of the Fartlek being that regimented. The ones I've read about are free form fun runs (supposedly that's what farltek means in Swedish, seriously). But hey, your coach knows, I'm just a dude. Stick with it, see how it goes, and send details of the hill workout -- maybe I'll work one in every now and then.

I also understand about your resistance to the coach and the "have to" aspect of training with her. Just remember, she gets paid wether you run or not, so do what yo feel comfortable with though I do think she'll be good for you and help you unlock something. I'm watching it very closely. I went through the "have to" last year when training for VCM. I resented the workout list, but am embracing it this year, it's a process and a new one for you this year, and I'm sure there's an adjustment period. I'm very psyched to be training for a marathon just a year after my last one -- it's not totally new to me and I feel OK about it even though week 1.2 has started out rockily . . . go with it, see what happens.

Steve DiMattia said...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fartlek

fartlek. I can't even say the word without laughing.

Agricola said...

alright then, I just wanted to take the fun and not the sprinting part. Thanks FA! See, I'm just some dude, what do I know. Off to bed.

Bennu Runner said...

I haven't run that many fartleks in my time as most of my experiece was on a track. I do remember the "distance" guys running them and enjoying them. The few I've run always used telephone poles as markers. FYI, this whole time I thought Mrs. VTR was the coach! This makes much more sense. If Mrs. BR were my coach, each run would involve a stop at the grocery store, dry cleaners and bank.

Agricola said...

I think if Mrs. BR were your coach she'd try to make you hurl each and every run! Lucky she isn't!