Saturday, April 28, 2007

The Park

When I bought the bike last fall I was suffused with the romantic notion of rides in Central Park. Truth is, the Park is not a fun ride. Unless it is empty, which happens only before 6:00am, the roller bladers, families of six with double-wide strollers, kids on scooters, and pedestrians who forget that they are crossing a city street, all contribute to make it one of the riskiest rides in the NYC area.

I rounded the corner today on my fifth lap, 32 mile, just less than 1 lap from my goal and feeling strong when WHAM....about 10,000 Walk for Parkinson's suburbanites were like a wall to wall carpet, as far up the road as I could see. I pulled over and watched the other cyclists round the same corner, and use the same profanity, as I had. Some of them tried to wade into the throng, but surface roads took me home.

Dist: 35.57 miles
Time: 2.35.31 hrs (including the 15 miutes or so I stood gaping at the walkers.)
Mx Speed: 26.3 mph
Av Speed: 13.7 mph

Have the heart monitor now, but still figger'n it out. Mx heart rate was around 176, on the great hill.

2 comments:

Agricola said...

Hahahahahahaha!

The eternal Central Park battle betwixt Bikers and pietons.

As you remember I've run my fair share of NY Road Runner events in the Park and it was always amazing to see how mad the bikers got at the runners/walkers and everybody else.

Can't we all just get along!?

Jeez I miss the NYRR runs in the park. It was so great to have a weekly check-in on your training and to have something to train for.

Ahhhhh . . . . Central Park in Spring . . . The roads of West Suburban Boston don't really compare.

VT Runner said...

I hear you on the value of weekly runs. We have a Tuesday night trail running series over the summer, and it's awesome. The family comes out and we switch of running and watching the kids. It's a great check in on my overall fitness level, a guarantee that I'll run at least once per week, and a fun way to get the family involved in exercise.

If you're looking for one in your current locale, I think there's a free weeknight run in Somerville. I can't remember the name of it, but I ran once and it was fun.