Tuesday, April 17, 2007

CSI

I started late so only rode for thirty minutes tonight, all on the trainer, standing still in my living room. I comfortably spin between 16 and 18 mph most nights, so that's roughly 8.5 miles, I didn't bother to check the computer. I don't have a heart rate monitor yet, so that's all I can say about it.

There isn't a lot to look at when you train at home. During my first few outdoor rides of the year last week it was remarkable how much more quickly time passes with the changing landscape. Finding the proper living room diversion has become a small obsession of mine.

Reading is out of the question. I am on my road bike, on a trainer, there is no gym-style-stationary-bike-shelf-for-your-magazine thing. I've tried the iPod, and while it spares my sanity on long flights it just doesn't do the job on long rides. I don't have the proper patience to build a kick ass playlist, and when Zep's The Girl I Love She Got Long Black Wavy Hair downshifts to Annie's Song (that's John Denver, fellas) it's tough to keep your dick up.

So I've come to define what works on television. Nothing too cerebral or hard to follow (I'm short Syriana), nothing too talk-oriented (tried Barefoot in the Park once. Short that.). The right show needs a little action, a jaunty tone, and a good story, enough narrative force to pull you along without drowning you. Right now that's CSI. Back to back reruns from 7 to midnight on Spike TV. Beauty.

4 comments:

VT Runner said...

Try watching Lance on one of the Tour de France videos. That will get the wheels turning.

Agricola said...

I don't own an iPod, but I wouldn't listen to it running if I did. The sounds are part of the experience and a useful safety tool -- sometimes you hear that car before you see it on curves.

I totally understand the need for some diversion when going stationary though -- it must be torturous. I've never understood how people can read and work out on the treadmill/stationary bike -- that's not a workout that's reading.

I would probably quit running forever if I spent a winter inside on a treadmill -- it's always got to be outside, in all kinds of weather. It's part of the experience for me. The people who run on treadmills in the summer kill me.

Agricola said...

Interestingly, while sitting on a call with a client in India, I was looking at blogger's blogs of note and found this interesting site, with this interesting post that is pertinent to our discussion.

Up in Alaska: Climb mix

American Crusader said...

Thanks for stopping by. Your comment was appreciated. I wish I had some useful advice but I do agree that it's smart to not run wearing an ipod for safety reasons.