Sunday, April 22, 2007

Merganser

Ran for just over 2 hours today and covered 13.2 miles of mostly dirt roads along what was either the Winooski or Little River (have to look that one up). Anyway, it was a perfect day for a run, and this was a new route for me, which kept it interesting.

The highlight was spotting about 6 common Merganzers (4 male and 2 female) along the way. I only know about this duck because we saw some yesterday up on the lake. About 35 of the birds were frolicking 200 yards off camp. Even at that distance, you could see that it's a pretty bird. It was an unexpected bonus to see them up close today. This picture doesn't do them justice, but it gives you an image for the post.

http://www.xmission.com/~cldavis/mrgnsrcmn1cd.jpg

As for the run, it was a grind. The weather and scenery pulled me through, but 13 miles is tough. And I signed up for 26?

2 comments:

Steve DiMattia said...

26.2, I think.

Agricola said...

Yes . . . 26 miles 385 yards.

Bird watching while running is a blast -- it's one of my favorite running past times.