Wednesday, May 30, 2007

C'mon!

Time: 37:50
Avg HR: 158
Peak HR: 177
Distance: TBD
Start Time: 6:45 AM
Training Effect: 4.3
Temp: high-50s
Date: 5/30/07

I did my longer route today, and despite not walking -- I stayed strong -- I went out 4 seconds slower -- which is really nothing over 4+ miles. I tried to focus on nothing, and just enjoy the act of running, and the feeling of motion.

I was pretty successful with that and overall the run was pretty good. Interesting that the training effect was.5 less and the avg. HR was only 3 beats/min slower -- I probably kept a better pace over the entire run than the first time I did this route when I think I went out harder up front and barely hung on at the end (see: mental weakness, walking).

Speaking of giving in . . . where is everybody? This blog has reverted to a dialogue, yet again. Are 5 of the 7 of us on this blog-team not running/riding? Not blogging? Both? I've written this before. There is basically no traffic to this site anymore which means most of you aren't even checking in. It's totally fine, but the purpose of this thing was to provide motivation, maybe it's not, let me know -- though the blog motivates me. I'm interested in feedback.

Hey, I admit it, I'm grinding right now, looking for a spark despite the beautiful weather, but I'm not giving in to the complacency. I've said this before too -- we live in a society where it's easy to be soft. We're all getting older, boys -- it gets harder to get out, it gets easier to get weak. You don't have to run to post.
Did you ride? Did you erg? Did you mow the lawn? Trim bushes? Chase kids around the beach all day? Hike the 'Daks? It all goes to the bottom line of both physical, and ultimately, mental well being that comes from and being active healthy adults.

A bunch of years ago FreeArtist's family and mine went to see Holy Cross play Army at West Point. A spouse of a friend of FA's wife was training for NYC and he was doing it he said to provide an example to his kids of staying fit, of working hard, of seeing something through to the end. I was running at that time, but marathoning was far from my thoughts. However, that conversation always stuck with me -- even in my periods of non-running I think about that conversation and eventually it gets me back on the road. C'mon boys, start running, riding writing.

2 comments:

VT Runner said...

Way to stretch it out a bit. Nice work. I hear you on the grind factor. One of the great things about running is challenging yourself to push through the tough spots with the reward of the cruises that are sure to follow. Still, it REALLY pays to have a community to run with. It's important to talk to folks about keeping fit, but it's even more important and more fun to have someone to hang with while you're keeping fit. So, I did a quick search and I found these sites for you. They list a bunch of running clubs in the Boston area (it's basically the same info in 3 different formats):
http://www.thetrustees.org/pages/233_running.cfm
http://www.runningnetwork.com/clubs/massachusetts.html
http://www.gbtc.org/whatelse.html
And here are some races:
http://www.coolrunning.com/eventcal/index.php

I'm sure you know about this resource, but I'll add it anyway for upcoming races:
http://www.coolrunning.com/eventcal/index.php

I also like the call out, but I'm not all that optimistic about the results.

Agricola said...

Well, based on site traffic, some of our team members were on the site yesterday. I'm psyched that they're reading, now they just need to start posting.