Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Churning

6:40 am
42.02 minutes
I'm calling it 5 miles

12:00 pm
41 minutes
I'm again calling it a 5-er.

As I've been saying in recent posts, these next few weeks are all about getting the miles in. I was feeling a little sore yesterday, so I took the day off. My body felt much better today, which is good because I had 10 miles on my chart.

I ended up splitting the mileage into two five mile runs, and I'm finding that I enjoy getting in a couple of workouts in one day. It makes the run less of a big event and more of a scheduled activity, like a meeting, call or whatever. It's just something I have to get in. The bonus is that I get the nice endorphine boost twice. In terms of training, the guy that I ran with this afternoon says that two short runs might actually be better training than one long. The rationale is that your body works harder at the start of a run and since you're starting twice, you get more out of it in terms of conditioning. I'm not sure I buy it. I'm just glad to have more flexibility.

Happy trails, boys.

2 comments:

Agricola said...

So how do the legs feel at the start of run two? Are they fatigued? You're probably in good shape right now so it's not totally noticeable.

Supposedly big time marathoners do two sessions/day and even take a cool down run after a race, though I can't confirm that.

I've always been intrigued by the double session.

VT Runner said...

I actually feel fresh at the start of the second session. It's only later in the day that I feel the fatigue. I'd say the feelings of accomplishment and "freshness" after both workouts outweighs and fatigue by a long shot.