Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Scenery

One of the guys I run with just stopped by and was almost giddy with the news. He and I are planning to run a 2:15 loop on Friday afternoon, and he just got confirmation that two friends will be joining us. Apparently, they're his girlfriend's friends who are on the UVM cross-country ski team, running the BTV marathon and not bad on the eyes. I'm thinking I'll get my ass kicked on this run (my buddy is 23 and ran a 3:20 Boston marathon in the driving wind/rain this year), but at least I'll have some good scenery to distact me.

I'll keep you posted.

4 comments:

Steve DiMattia said...

What is the BTV marathon?

VT Runner said...

It's the Burlington marathon. I think BTV is the airport abbreviation for Burlington.

Agricola said...

Hopefully Mrs. VTR doesn't read this post (nor does Mrs. Agricola, as you'll see below)and see how psyched you are to run with 20-something coeds . . . we don't have too many of those in my neck of the woods . . . I need some running partners!

I ran a race in Manhattan in 2002 or 2003 I think -- the NYRR Financial District American Heart Association 5K (maybe 4 miler). It started near World Financial Center, did 270 degrees around Ground Zero and wound it's away across the island, Wall St. etc. down into Battery Park, and back up the river to end basically where it began, but hard along the Hudson.

It was after work, it was hot. I got behind this couple. I keyed off of them, and they were fit. The girl was 5'11" if she was a foot, 125 or so, very athletic wearing pale blue spandex volley ball shorts.

I followed them all through the course, at a pace quicker than I wanted to but I was not going to lose that view. She kicked it in the last 200, left her BF behind and I went with her, pulled alongside her and then beat her at the finish. What scenery!

It was a great race, and I actually can't describe the emotions of running around Ground Zero and looking into the hole -- chill-inducing, and then I found my rabbits!

VT Runner said...

I love that you remember the details of the pale blue shorts. Too funny.