Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Achievement

So this woman who works in my office....26 years old, she swims, bikes, does yoga, would probably fit in with VT Runner's new friends from the UVM ski team....she told me this afternoon that she achieved a personal record on three Park laps, 1 hour on the nose. So damn me if I didn't have to chase that. I hit the Park hard tonight and did three laps, 18.71 miles, in 1 hour, 5 minutes. I didn't have a PR on three Park laps, a common time trial for NYC cyclists, so I'm taking it, and since I am more than a fair bit older, heftier, and less fit than my associate, I am psyched. I needed to feel like I had achieved something this week, and I am satisfied.

Athletic achievement is not familair to me. That's why I'm doing the Century and I find that the more I achieve physically the more it is motivating. More on this later, I am taking my sore ass to bed.

Distance: 18.71 miles
Time: 1.05.06 hours
Mx Speed: 26.9 mph
Av Speed: 17.2 mph (I am really pumped about this stat, in particular.)
Mx bpm....hit 180 at one point, on the Great Hill. Hmmmmm.

3 comments:

VT Runner said...

Wow! You hauled. 17.2 mph average is really fast. What your colleague has in youth you definitely made up for with grit and mental toughness. Nice job. You should feel good about that kind of ride. Great post.

Steve DiMattia said...

Thanks.

I altered my posture on the bike, too, bringing my uppoer torso down closer to the handlebars, so my back was more parallel to the top tube. It made a noticable difference.

Agricola said...

Way to go, great job.

It helps to have goals, and someone against whom to compete. It's the inspiration behind this silly blog!

It's amazing how much form and technique contribute (or debilitate) performance. YOu got into a more aerodynamic position, maybe it ads some amount of leg drive -- cool.

Keep going and achieving athletically and you'll evolve into a jock after all!