Monday, May 14, 2007

Co-ed run

Went out for what was supposed to be a stepped up two hour run last Friday with my buddy from work and two of his girlfriend's friends. These ladies are on the UVM cross country ski team, so I was fully prepared to get my butt kicked. At the last minute, my friend's girlfriend (fit, 22 yo yoga instructor) joined us, so I thought for sure I was a dead man.

As it turns out, the young wonders weren't in that great shape and weren't all that psyched about the run. Our pace was actually slower than I would have liked. With only 2 weeks until the marathon, I wanted to leave everything on the course for this, my last long run. Instead, I'm looking at this week and trying to fit in one more longish run before the main event. It makes me feel good to be in this kind of shape, but I'm even more psyched about my mental approach -- the fact that I'm scheming to get in more miles is a big deal to me. I haven't been this into exercise in quite a while, and it feels good.

I have to make a brief mention of a change in the running fashion landscape since we were in college. Remember when t-shirts covered the butt and spandex went from above the hip to above the knee? Those days are gone. College girls now wear spandex that would've easily passed as hot pants when we were in school. Coverage from below the hip to just below the butt. I have to admit that I was more focused on the run than on the scenery, but I felt this was another opportunity to reiterate how screwed we were by the fasion of the late '80's early '90's when we were young and on the prowl. We can only hope that baggy sweats and sweatshirts become THE thing again when our girls start to care about that stuff.

4 comments:

Agricola said...

Well, the college kids have probably been boozing all spring, hence their lack of fitness.

I couldn't agree more on your point about how we lost out on fashion (or lack there-of) in our youth. That outfit you describe has been in for a while, see my comment to your "Scenery" post.

VT Runner said...

Love the "scenery" comment.

Here's my impression of you writing that, "Hmmm, let's see if I can remember... oh yes, the lvoely young lade was wearing pale blue volleyball shorts, 6 inches above the knee, white stiching in the seams, dark blue, no indigo racing stripes, there was no label on the outside, but I could just make out 'Columbia, Size M' on the inside tag, slightly worn on the edges, etc.... but I digress because, you know, the race was very moving and stuff."

VT Runner said...

"lvoely young lade" -- nothing like proof reading.

Agricola said...

Jeez, it really was a defining moment in my running life . . . haha.