Thursday, May 3, 2007

Turkey Trot

Time: 33:36
Avg HR: 155
Peak HR: 178
Distance: 4.02 miles
Start Time: 6:54 AM
Training Effect: 4.7
Temp: mid-40s

I went out longer today -- adding in a couple of extra blocks and about 6 minutes onto my run -- I'm now just over 4 miles which is good. It was a beautiful day. A cabby asked me for directions but I didn't know what street he was looking for -- I stopped my watch while I spoke with him. Nothing major to report, no deep thoughts, but I was delayed this AM because there was a huge turkey in our yard. I got a couple of snapshots of her before heading out and that delayed me a bit.

The turkey is cool and we've seen her a couple of times over the past week or so. It's kind of cool to have such a large animal foraging on the property.

4 comments:

Agricola said...

SO I've been thinking about this post a bit since I made it. I really felt better at the end of the 4 than I do, typically at the end of 3.3. It's totally a rhythm thing, and a comfort level that my body gets into as the run proceeds. I'm not saying I could go ten right now, but 4-6 is totally in my sweet spot right now I think.

Another thing I've been pondering is that I'd actually like to slow dowm my pace, make the run last longer. It's all about training within your aerobic threshold. I'm not saying I'm going anaerobic, but 8:15/mi. is a quick training pace, and sometimes I think that 9 is better (for me anyway). Any opinions out there?

This is my theme of the week -- maximizing the workout by going slower and forcing the body into longer stretches of work. Also, I wanted to post today but had no run related data!

VT Runner said...

I think you're selling yourself short. You've done the time, put in a lot of miles, you can go longer without sacrificing the speed. My take is that you go out at a pace that's comfortably challenging and keep it up until you hit your target time or distance. If you go out with the intention of going slower, even though you really don't have to, you'll sell yourself short.

I'm psyched that you're breaking out of the 3 mile run barrier. After doing longer runs and turning a 5 miler into my short stretch, I don't think 3 miles is enough to really enjoy yourself. Sure, you'll get good workout, but you have to quit just when things are about to get good.

So, yes, make the run last longer, but keep the speed. Your body will slow you down if/when necessary, no need to preempt that with over-thinking. Reading your posts over the past few months and having run with you in the past, I'll tell you that you're way stronger than you think you are. You definitely have longer runs in you. Go get them.

Agricola said...

Thanks dude!

I totally agree that 3 miles is not far enough to enjoy yourself. It's kinda painful,and I remember training for NYC 5ers were much more comfortable near the end than 3s because I was warmed up. I'm on again tomorrow -- gonna go for 5 and that should bring up my weekly total to 16 -- which is pretty respectable.

VT Runner said...

Nice. You'll do it no sweat.