Friday, March 30, 2007

Long run

So, I did a long one today. At 13.7 miles, 2.01 hours, it was the longest run I've ever done. My previous longest was a 10 miler that I did a few years ago. The keys to this run were a new route that I enjoyed and a compatible running partner.

Over all, the run was good. Miles 1 - 7 were solid. I ran this portion of the route on Wednesday, and I felt much better, looser today. Miles 7-11 were uneventful. Miles 11 - 13.7 were a little tough, but not in a way that I expected. My lungs were fine, but my legs felt a little dead. I'm convinced it was from a lack of fuel. My running partner luckily brought a cliff bar and powerade, which we split. Having never run this distance, I never even considered needing food/drink. It was definitely necessary. Next long one, I'll have some fluids and some Gu on me.

So now, it's about an hour and a quarter after the run, and I'm not feeling the buzz of endorphines. My body is definitely in "WHAT did you just do to me?!" mode. Still, it was a good experience and a great mental building block for the VT marathon.

1 comment:

Agricola said...

Hey Congrats!

I was wondering what sort of fluid/food you were going to use. As a general rule I definitely bring fluids on any run that's going to be approaching 7 miles. I definitely bring food for anything over 7 miles. Technically speaking you're supposed to drink 4-6 ozs of fluid for every 20-25 mins of exercise.

I never had enough fluid on my long runs, but an interesting thing about marathoning is that they treat almost nobody for dehydration during 'thons, but they actually treat more people for over-hydration -- hypernatremia. It's really serious, and can be worse than hyponatremia (dehydration). That fact always comforted me -- I was always afraid that I would dehydrate, but it's not as serious as over-hydration. Keep up the good work.