Tuesday, March 13, 2007

GOOAALL!!

I've been off running since my three day in a row splurge in China last week. Those three days (and jetlag) caught up with me on Thursday, so I've been off the trail for five days. Lame, yes, but I did get some good exercise playing hockey last night. Even if it wasn't running, I can't help but think that some good cross-training can't hurt.

I wanted to post two details about playing in a weekly mens hockey league. My first observation is that scoring a goal never gets old, no matter how old you are. I beat out a guy for a pseudo-breakaway last night and scored on a nice wrist shot, beating the goalie to the upper left corner, over his glove hand. It was a clean goal and felt awesome. What a rush! Some guys say to act like you've been there before when you score, get in the end zone, hit a HR, whatever.... Not me, I rose my stick and whooped it up. Felt too good to hold it in.

Another feeling that is so clear after a late night hockey game or an early morning run, is the post-exertion rush of endorphins. I feel it most after hockey because I get home around 11 pm when everyone else in the house is asleep. In the calm of the night, I really clue into the energy -- a clean, clear-headed, warm energy that buzzes inside for a good forty minutes after the game.

My hope is that writing about the post-exercise buzz will inspire me to make my run tomorrow -- and maybe remind the crew of one of the reasons we all like to get out there. (Ok, I admit I also wanted to talk about the goal. It was so damned pretty!)

Later boys.

5 comments:

Agricola said...

Great story, and I'm all for the cross training posts. this blog is all about getting fit and what we do to get there. Wait until summer, I'll have hours of yard work posts as my cross training.

Scoring a goal . . . I need to find me an adult league I think. Phat is playing in his area too.

As far as endorphins go . . . I'm a much nicer and happier person when I run -- it's the endorphins, it's the exertion, it's the alone time. Being a happier person makes me a better husband and father, and that's a huge motivator for running and a huge benefit too.

They say that running is as, if not more, beneficial in treating depression than drug treatment -- think about that for a minute. What a way to cure two ailments of America -- depression and obesity . . . nah, we'll just medicate ourselves stupid.

Good post, thanks Man!

PhatRunner said...

Most excellent dialog. I am just warming up the typing hand again as I have been off the running trail since having my arm repaired. Last week, I spent several hours at the local hospital having my right elbow scoped. 5 free floating bodies and 1 other removed with the scope, I was in percoset induced heaven. Now, more than ever, do I really want to get out there and experience the endorphin rush you were so eloquently describing.

Great post. Keep on truckin....

PS What happened to Hye and Torn Ligament.

Agricola said...

It's sort of amazing that your elbow can contain 5 free floating elements -- there wouldn't appear to be an space in there.

I had my knee scoped about 6 years ago this Fall and sometimes I think I should have the other one done -- the right got scoped and feels better than the left . . .

My brother the surgeon says that arthroscopic surgery is the only surgery that really gives him the willies -- he says it's not gently and they seem to be awful rough in a small spot!

VT Runner said...

Agricola neglected to mention that he injured the knee in a death-defying, extreme sledding (yes, sledding) accident.

How about you Phat, tennis injury?

Agricola said...

I caught my heel in the snow while turning a hurtling sled so as not to die . . . it happens you know!

And then the knee wobbled from side side for like two days, and was totally unstable . . . it was madness.