Friday, March 16, 2007

Mushroom cap

Went out for a longish run of 56 minutes today. Felt good and had a pretty solid pace, but this one equation dominated my thoughts:

cold temps + headwind + thin running sweats + no briefs = PAIN

Made me think about how much of running is simply in the preparation. I've missed out on some great running days this week because I forgot my gear. Today I compromised what could have been an awesome run (it was still good) because I forgot to pack tighty-whities to insulate the boys. I'm convinced that successful early morning runs are 75% tied to preparation. Forget to set out your gear and you're done, but having gear staring you in the face helps you get over the remaining 25% hurdle, which is getting out of the nice, warm, co-habitated bed.

So, set out your gear, load up your gym bag and get to it. Now that my lower extremity has thawed, I'm just going to sit back and enjoy a mild endorphin warmth for a bit.

Happy St. Patty's day!

1 comment:

Agricola said...

I nearly froze mine off once in in NYC -- 3 F, head wind on the Brooklyn Promenade. I actually invested in biker briefs with a delightful windproof panel to protect the boys. They are made of a wicking material which is better than cotton. You sould check them out. I bought them on some bike site on the web . . . performance bike . . . ?

Nice run of 56 minutes! I'm heading out now for an afternoon run.