Thursday, March 1, 2007

FINALLY

So, I finally got out today and can join the fun on the blog. I've been meaning to get out all week because it has been gorgeous up here in VT. 25 - 35 degrees, which feels like spring, blue sky, no wind. Perfect running weather.

I managed to cram in about 3.5 miles between meetings and felt pretty good. Not going to set any speed records, but no pain to report.

The back story on my running is that I signed up for the Burlington Marathon about 6 weeks ago (weak moment), downloaded a complex training schedule and have managed to run 4 times, including today. I'll be traveling in China next week, but I'll be back out running the following week. Looking forward to having a virtual crew to keep the motivation high.

5 comments:

Agricola said...

The thing about marathon training is that you have to ultimately run the race. You need to train in such a way that you can do that. I found that for my first (and so far only)'thon, the complex training regimens were too much for my body. Listen to your body, focus on the long runs, and look to get some mileage in between, and you should be OK. Also, remember the old runner's saw that you technically need one day of rest for every mile you log on the long run, so you're in tremendous debt throughout training. You want to leave something in the tank for race day, and actually get there, uninjured which can be hard to do if you don't listen to your body. Your first marathon you want to finish, after that, train for time.

It would rock out to get a run in while in China, and post it up here -- a transnational running posting!

Welcome aboard.

PhatRunner said...

I would agree. Of course, my training regimen for other marathons has been less than stellar, so I can offer little advice except that I did not train long or hard enough for the race.

Torn Ligaments said...

When in the Burlington marathon?

Agricola said...

May something or other, I think.

VT Runner said...

Burlington Marathon is the Sunday of Memorial Day weekend.