Sunday, March 25, 2007

Grind

Got my ass out today for a 33 minute run. It was a gorgeous day up here and the schedule worked out perfectly for the run...so why was it so hard getting out the door?

Here's my theory:

I have to think it's at least somewhat biological. The body, during the winter/early spring especially, has a vested interest in conserving energy. It doesn't want us to go out. In fact, the body is pissed off even after we do hit the road, which is why the first 20 minutes or so always suck (at least they do for me). The body is saying, "Get back on the couch, open a beer and relax a bit. It's a long winter, and I need these calories." By the time we hit the 20 minute mark of the run, the body figures it MUST be doing something worthwhile like hunting, so it better damn well catch a little critter to replenish the food supply. This is why we suddenly feel a little lighter, a little more glide/less grind with every step. It's biological.

So, hit the road boys. And every time you do, no matter what the quality of the run, feel good about it. Because in getting up, setting the beer aside (for later) and taking that first stride, you're not simply beating innertia -- nope, you're beating thousands of years of biological imprints that just want to keep your ass imprinted in the couch... at least that's what I tell myself.

1 comment:

Agricola said...

Totally agree. Our bodies want to be lazy, they want to be fat and well fed and comfortable -- it will basically be the same in the warmer weather too, it's not only during the winter months that we must battle entropy. But during the winter we do need to battle the biological urge to hibernate.

Running forces us out of the comfort zone, inflicts a bit of pain. The discomfort of running is actually good for both the mind and the body. I know I've commented in this vein before, but seriously, it's a motivator for me. Part of the reason I got heavy again was because I went soft and opted for perma-comfy -- it's easier, and more pleasant. However, I want to live a long time and be a hard old bastard who runs till he's 80. Fitness helps. Embracing the pain helps. Glad you got out there. Thanks for the post.