Friday, March 23, 2007

Just A Run

Time: 27:56
avg HR: 156
Peak HR: 172
3.3 miles
6:50 AM start
Training Effect: 4.3
Temp: 40 F

Not much to report today, no deep thoughts, not even shallow thoughts. Just a 3.3 mile run . . . well, actually, that post I made about my HR monitor got me thinking about the training effect.

TE over 4 is supposedly a hard workout, with big cardio benefits that will yield dramatic improvement, but requires rest periods interspersed with recovery workouts. I feel fine after them and don't need any big recovery period. I also tend to drop about 40 beats/minute within 1 minute of finishing so my post-run recovery is pretty good. However, I'm over 4 TE on 3.3 mile runs. Am I in shape or out of it? Maybe a HR monitor is not such a great thing after all!

Anyway, I tried to go out slower today but it felt worse. I feel better going quicker and I actually start to feel better after the 30 minute mark -- which I've not been hitting in these workouts so I definitely need to increase the distance. Does anybody else feel better after a certain period in their run? Is anybody else even running right now, or I am just shouting into the wind here like I do on my other blog?

4 comments:

VT Runner said...

I'm here. You'll see a post from me this weekend. Hands full at the moment.

Agricola said...

Phew!

Man! I was getting pretty lonely in here . . . I hope you're well. I look forward to your post.

VT Runner said...

I'm digging the blog. I actually think in terms of posts during the run. It's a fun way to frame my state of mind and monitor the thoughts that pass through my consciousness and the ones that stick.

I'm also enjoying the back and forth nature of blogging. Having something to add to the site has turned into another reason to get out and run. Thanks for getting it going and running the show.

Agricola said...

No worries, I'm glad that I did this, and glad that it's helpful so far. I too think about what I'm going to post on my runs, and it is a huge motivator.