Friday, March 9, 2007

China Runs

This is actually my second post in China, but my first one never made it to the site. A funny thing happens to Google sites over here -- all the instructions, etc. are in Chinese characters! I'll make this a quick post and hit the button I'm guessing is submit. I'll have more details on the runs when I know the info got there.

Here are the details:
3 runs so far, all on the treadmill. 3 miles a piece at about 25 minutes each. No TV's or music in the gym, so I made things interesting by increasing my pace every half mile. Got down to under 7 minute miles for the last push, and felt really good. To get motivated, I pictured the end of the fourth of July race in Hingham, which is the only race I consistently run every year.

On the China side, I have two comments -- smog and crazy drivers. That says it all for this trip.

Later boys.

3 comments:

Agricola said...

Cool!

I hear that the Chinese are working their tails off to clean up air quality for Beijing 2008, but that's going to be tough since China puts multiple new coal-fired-electrical plants on line each month. I saw the number within the past ten days, but I can't recall what is is -- it's a bunch and it's surprisingly high.

Safe travels, and thanks for the international posting!

Agricola said...

Hey, your earlier post did make it onto the site -- it just published at an earlier date:

http://distancetrainers.blogspot.com/2007/03/china-run.html

It's also visible in the posts portion of the backend.

Something to keep in mind when posting you can control the time and date of your post as well as the content inside of the post. When you are in edit mode and you see footer where you can label the post, look at the link for post options, it permits you to set the time and date and comment function of each post. Let me know if you want a tutorial on the blogger interface, I'm pretty familiar with it at this point.

One thing I'm mildly surprised at is that the PRC let you publish . . . it's kind of interesting, unless they control web access in hotels where westerners stay differently than they control the web access of the population in general -- it's quite restricted and inbound and outbound content is very monitored.

VT Runner said...

Yeah, I heard about the polution thing, and it will be a problem. How do you stop production at those plants even for a little while around the Olympics when China is making a huge percentage of our global products? (By "our", I mean all products.) The air quality is definitely not good. I caught a sinus thing my last couple of days, but being home I'm starting to think it was mainly due to smog and inner-factory fumes.